Preventable illness makes up approximately 80% of the burden of illness and 90% of all health care costs in the United States. CDC
- total health cost norms decreased from 36% above the Anthem norm to 4.6% above the norm;
- prescription drug costs decreased from 72% above the Anthem norm to 18% above the norm;
- inpatient facilities decreased from 74% above the Anthem norm to 4.8% below the norm;
- inpatient professional decreased from 48% above the Anthem norm to 9% above the norm;
- outpatient facilities decreased from 30% above the Anthem norm to 8% above the norm;
- outpatient professional decreased from 28% above the Anthem norm to 9% below the norm
Lotusea compared the participants of workplace wellness programs first year to their third year:
- 61 participants referred to a physician the first year; 16 participants referred the third year;
- 52 participants identified as high risk the 1st year; 21 participants identified as high risk the 3rd year;
- 101 participants identified as moderate risk the 1st year; 45 participants identified as moderate risk the 3rd year;
- 59% made significant improvements in their health during the first three years of the program
The SHPS Report reports that employers can expect a savings of 18% or $1400 per participant.
Partnership for Prevention states that a company can realize savings of $5.81 for every $1.00 spent.
Lotusea Wellness Group reports a savings of $450.00 per participant per year.
The World Health Organization stated in a 2008 report that noncommunicable diseases are surpassing communicable diseases in the cause of death globally. Prevention, education and awareness can prevent 80% of premature deaths. The result would be a significant decrease in the cost of health care due to a decrease in health risk factors such as tobacco use and obesity.
Lotusea Wellness Group – Cost Savings
Copyright 2009 Lotusea Wellness Group, Inc.: Workplace Wellness Programs & Executive Retreats. All rights reserved